Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Knock off Buckle skirt

Do you have a Buckle store where you live? Seriously I LOVE that store. I do a workout 4 times a week with this motivating momma at the mall because it is too stinkin' hot to do it outside. So I walk by there at least 4 times a week drooling over whatever they have in their display window. Too timid to go inside because I know I will spend WAY too much money!

Last window display they had several tiered ruffle skirts which are so simple to make. One in particular stood out to me.

This one!


After drooling over it again online I decided I was going to make one! On a trip to Phoenix this past week I stopped at hobby lobby. While they didn't have the greatest selection of lace or ANY nylon chiffon (which doesn't fray like polyester chiffon) they did have this great 4" lace trim that was kind of scalloped on the finished edge and shirred! Yeah I don't have to hem it or ruffle it!

Since I am totally an instant gratification kind of girl and live in the biggest small town where no one has any nylon chiffon. And I'm trying to use what I have and not buy so much fabric...I just decided to do without the extra white ruffle under the lace and just do several lace ruffles with a white knit underskirt and a t-shirt waistband.

Materials List:

Several yards of 4 1/2" lace trim (I used 6 yards, but it was pre-ruffled and had a elastic on the underside almost like shirred fabric, if you have to ruffle it up you need double)
1 Yard-ish of knit under fabric
matching thread

First make a t-shirt waistband. I totally forgot to take pics of this part because it is second nature to me so I'll try to talk you through it. Start by cutting the bottom 6" off of an old T-shirt or a 6" strip of your knit fabric. Measure your waist then divide it by 2 and subtract 4 inches. So I wanted mine to sit lower on my hips I measured and they were about 29".

29 / 2 - 4 = 10.5 + 1 (for 1/2 seam allowance on each side) = 11.5

Then cut your 6" strip to 11.5 inches (x2 one for front and one for the back) and stitch a 1/2 seam down each short side. Fold over so the seams are on the inside and Voila you've got a 3" T-shirt waistband!

If that was confusing check out this link and Ms. Disney will show you exactly how to do it, pictures and all!

Then take a strip of your lace and pin it right sides together to your waistband and stitch down with a zig zag stitch (to maintain the stretch).



Cut a strip of knit to 4" (because you want the next layer of lace to be just under the first layer of lace in this case about a 1/2") and ruffle it up. Either with a ruffle foot or by basting your longest stitch length and pulling the top thread until your strip is all ruffled up. Then stitch it down (again with a zig zag stitch) on top of the lace. Then pull the ruffle basting stitch out of the knit or break the ruffle-ing stitch ever so slightly making sure not to break the zig zag stitch. Otherwise it will not stretch properly. Now you should have a little lace sandwich!


Turn the knit strip down and stitch the next layer of lace onto the knit right sides together with a straight stitch. With the knit fabric all ruffled up there should be plenty of room for your hips and no need for any stretch to it really!


Then add another 4" strip of knit to the lace making another little lace sandwich. No need to ruffle this layer of knit. And repeat until you have enough layers to cover your bottom!


Two layers, ideal for a little girl. But who am I kidding! My booty would hang out the bottom of that!


Now that is better!

This principal can be applied to any ruffled skirt using regular cotton too but you would have to ruffle it before you stitched it down to the knit. I chose knit because it has a nice stretch to it and you don't have to hem it!

Linking up to Ms. Jennifer's weekend wrap up party!






And....





And...






Seriously! Who doesn't heart naptime?


23 comments:

Unknown said...

VERY Cute! Great tutorial.
Found you through TT&J!

Jami

Staci J said...

You make it look so easy!! It looks great!! Visiting from fun to craft
justsewsassy.com

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

absolutely darling! So pretty and feminine!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I will be featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com on Monday!. Grab my "featured" button.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Found you via Tatertots! This is a great skirt, I think your interpretation is better than the original. Who needs nylon chiffon?

I {heart} Nap Time said...

I LOVE this! It turned out so cute! I want to make one now! I'd love for you to link it up @ iheartnaptime.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

Very, very cute. I have a soft spot for lace....

Amber @ Paint Chips and Frying Pans said...

Love it and it looks so simple to make. Thinking my teen daughters may just need a new lace skirt. :)

Tricia Lee Riggio said...

You are sooo cute!! I will be back!!

Anne said...

This is SUCH a cute skirt!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-tiered-lace-ruffle-skirt/2010/07/05/

--Anne

Lorie said...

Very cute! I am going to feature this on my blog tomorrow!

Jamie said...

Love it! I think I even prefer yours to the store-bought one. Following from the blog, baby night night boutique!

Jessica said...

Hey Gals!

I'm so glad everyone likes it! Thanks to all you bloggers out there who featured it...I'm completely amazed! I hope you try it, it was super easy...if you do I'd love to see pictures! I don't have a flickr pool yet but you can always email us!

Love, Jess

ProcraftinatingPA said...

Love this!! Thanks for posting a tutorial! My mind is swimming with possibilities!
I came over from Ucreate to check out ya'lls blog, LOVE IT! I'm a procrastinator too, I have lots of crafty tutorials on my blog aswell- http://procraftinatingpa.blogspot.com/

Liz said...

Can't wait to try this for my little princess! Cute! Thanks for sharing

Tina said...

You should go to SAS fabrics on Speedway and Rosemont. They have a ton of fabric and trim and accessories for cheap!

Jay said...

I LOVE this! I will totally be making one soon!

Amie {Kitty Cats and Airplanes} said...

I LOVE this! I am featuring this tomorrow on a lace round up on my blog tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

hi im just wondering what lace you used and would you be able to comment and answer my question ASAP!! please. Thank-you :)

Isabella

Jessica said...

Isabella it states under materials: Several yards of 4 1/2" lace trim (I used 6 yards, but it was pre-ruffled and had a elastic on the underside almost like shirred fabric, if you have to ruffle it up you need double)

I found this at hobby lobby on an oblong roll. You can use whatever lace you have on hand. Mine had some stretch, it was "shirred" so sewn with an elastic thread to gather it. Which worked well and allowed the skirt to not be too tight.

If you have to use regular lace just cut it to the length you'd like each tier (mine as stated above were 4 1/2 inches). If you want it to be longer then make yours wider like maybe 6 inches? Or add more tiers.

I hope this helps! If you have more quetions please feel free to email me directly at babiebird11@aol.com or IF you respond back in the comments section be sure that you include your email (instead of commenting "anonymously". Blogger does not allow me to reply back to you via email when you comment like this :)

Anonymous said...

Love this tutorial. I discovered the best place to get enough pre-ruffled lace for a childs skirt if you aren't picky. I was at a local Salvation Army and noticed a bedskirt with ruffled lace. Cost me 50 cents and there was enough to make a skirt for a childs 5/6. I also found a cute curtian valance and turned it into a skirt for myself.

Anonymous said...

So you make a plain skirt and sew on ruffles where you want?

Zoe said...

This is such a cute skirt! If I find some good lace, I'll definitely make one.