Thursday, July 22, 2010

All Ruffled Up!

Hailey's little Ikea table needed some serious dressing up. Her room is "shabby chic" meets "vintage barbie". I got her an unfinished wood table and chairs from Ikea when I first did her room and painted it a light pink color. This was back in the dark ages when I was afraid of bright fun colors and hadn't figured out how much easier it is to paint with spray paint! The table seriously took a week (9 months pregnant w/Belle) to paint and it still didn't look all that great. By that time I was totally over it and just shoved it in her room and put some stuff on top of it.

I thought it was time to redo it! I didn't actually repaint the table I just scrubbed it down with a magic eraser and repainted the chairs. Then made the table a little ruffled up table cloth that can be removed and washed or bleached if need be.



Materials:
1 queen size flat sheet or around 4 yards of fabric
matching thread

I had a sheet on hand from a random sheets set I purchased at Home Goods when it had been marked down to like $5!

First start by measuring your table. I have the Svala from Ikea. If you have something different be sure to check your measurements. Mine measured 23 1/4 by 19 5/8. I added an inch to each dimension (for the seam allowances) so I cut a rectangle 24 1/4 and 20 5/8. I wanted 4 tiers but later in the project decided to only use 3 tiers so that the girls would be able to push their chairs in completely.

So I cut 6, 5" strips by however long my sheet was and luckily it turned out to be just enough. Then I cut 3, 4 1/2" by 88" (2x length + 2x width) strips for the dividers.



Take your 5" strips and ruffle them up. I left my edges un hemmed if you want to hem your edges do it now before your ruffle them up. I thought the un hemmed edges after being washed would look cute and shabby! I didn't actually join the pieces strips together with a seam I just butted them right up to each other as I ran them through the ruffler. I did all the ruffling at once so I wouldn't have to change my foot each tier. Sometimes I like to pretend I work on an assembly line and try to do things efficiently. Totally the planner in me! :)



Lay out your rectangle that you cut earlier flat on a table or the floor, pin the ruffles down and baste them on (just use the longest stitch length we'll go over it again).



After you have that tacked down put your 4 1/2" strip on top of it and make a little ruffle sandwich (just like the skirt) and stitch that down using your normal stitch length.



Fold down the 4 1/2" divider strip and pin another layer of ruffles on it right sides together. Then stitch it down. Lay another divider strip down and stitch that down. Finally repeat for another tier. And another if you want 4.

Turn everything out and iron the ruffles flat. They just look prettier when they are all pressed. And put it on your table!



Then take it out and have a tea party (more to come on that later)!

Linking up with...
And...



And...


Mom.Undecided.

And...
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

And...



And...




And...

UndertheTableandDreaming





12 comments:

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

For the love of ruffles!!!! That is so cute!

raggygirlvintage said...

So pretty Jessica, what little (or big) girl wouldn't like a nice ruffly tea party!
Tracey

Kitschalicious said...

This is so cute! I may need to make one for my daughter!

Valerie said...

So, so cute.. I am definately going to make one for ME and my craft room. I am filing this at thecraftersfilebox.com. Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

LOVE this~very CUTE!

AUDRA said...

SOO cute!

Love it

Thanks for sharing at Socialize with me Monday til Sunday.

Morgane @ Bear,Dolly and Moi said...

it is a great idea and it looks beautiful!
the setting for the picture is fantastic, it seems very magical,
and the 3 little fairies are perfectly at home!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Jessica! The tablecloth is simply gorgeous! The ruffles are so pretty. What a wonderful way to update the kiddie table. Wanted to let you know I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a fabulous week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

saltbox
treasures
said...

You made a very sweet table cover! It's adorable!
~ Julie

Danielle said...

Oh my gosh!!! I love that tablecloth and am so on my way to dig for a white sheet right now! :)

Liz said...

This will be a FUN project for make for my little girl's next tea party!

Sew Hungryhippie said...

ADORABLE! I just made a ruffle tablecloth for my table, but I didn't stack ruffles like you did. I like yours better!!! Now I'm off to make it -over again-..heehee
I love that picture too-so cute. I'm following you for more great inspiration.
cheers,
natalie