Thursday, December 9, 2010

Makeup brush roll

I finally got my act together yesterday and actually created something. Yippee! I know the idea isn't exactly original (basically an adult version of a crayon roll!) but I made it my own and used whatever supplies I had on hand. I'm actually quite proud of myself because I've been in a bit of a funk. This would make a good neighbor/teacher/babysitting/hairdresser gift, and if you are anything like me you have amounted quite a mass of hoarded fabric! haha And thats about all ya need!



Want to make one?

You'll need:
2 pieces of fabric 15 x 17 "
some ric rac or ribbon
matching thread



Take your two pieces of fabric and place them right sides together. Pin and stitch around both long ends and one short end. Leaving one 15" end completely open.



Turn right side out, press, and topstitch around those three edges.



On the unfinished edge press about 1/4 inch towards the "lining" piece of fabric and stitch down.



Then put some ric rac, ribbon, or even bias tape if you want over that stitch line.



Then fold the fabric up enough to cover the handles of your brushes. You can press this if you like. I just pinned it and it was fine.




Grab some more ribbon (or whatever embellishment you chose) and snip a pretty long string fold in half and tuck under (and pin) one side of the short ends. I chose the right side. Stitch down the two short ends to make a pocket and secure your tie.



Finally tuck all of your makeup brushes into the big pocket and pin in between them. Then remove the brushes so they dont get caught up in your machine. You could use a disappearing ink pen to draw lines if you want but I just eyeballed and stitched it.



Then snip your strings, put your brushes back in and wrap it up! Easy peasy, right?

Fold the top over to keep brushes clean.

Then wrap it up!
I made mine in vinyl covered cotton left over from this post. Sometimes ::cough cough:: the bottom of the makeup bag can get kind of dusty from shadows and powders. I thought the vinyl would keep the brushes nice and clean and wipe off easily. You could definitely do this in cotton it might just need to be washed every once in awhile which isn't a problem because it is totally washable!

A friend of mine suggested to put the vinyl on the inside because the brushes are dirty when you put them away. For me this ins't an issue. I wash them after every use because I have super super sensitive skin. If I didn't I'd get really bad breakouts. But by all means if you like put the vinyl on the inside! It is a very good idea if you don't obsessively wash your brushes like I do! haha


Be sure and check back tomorrow for a matching makeup bag! 



Love and Hugs,

No comments: